I’ve already sent out an overenthusiastic mass e-mail, shouting this to the rooftops, but I got a job!
2. I’m the only YS staff, so I’ll have a lot of autonomy. The director is amazing, and I have the impression that she’ll be very supportive.
3. This is what I’ve always wanted to do. Even when I was in high school, when I was asked the ever-popular “what do you want to be when you grow up”, I answered “I’d like to be a little old lady librarian (with tattoos), who sits in the children’s section waiting for school to let out.” I’m not little or old yet, but there’s not a lot I can do about it. Maybe watch more Golden Girls.
4. The library was built in 1893 by a steel magnate, in an Italian Renaissance style. That’s right. I’m going to work in a CASTLE.
5. This is no ordinary castle. This is a haunted castle.
6. This is no ordinary haunted castle. This is a haunted castle by the sea. There is an ocean four blocks away.
7. There is a yarn shop two blocks away.
I’m trying to remain realistic in my goals for starting this job. I know that my first impulse when I first get there will be to change a bunch of stuff, and that’s exactly the wrong thing to do. I’ve been trying to remind myself of that, and I know that I can spend all that energy in the first few months unpacking, exploring the area, and maybe – just maybe – using the expression “doughty old salt” with a straight face.