When I got down to Chicago last night, Jake informed me that the Pernice Brothers were playing at the Empty Bottle, and he was going. Despite having a friend in town, I chose to go to the show. This is a rarity – as a rule, I hate going to see live music. I have to stand, everyone is posing about, it’s smoky, and my ears hurt.
So that’s how much I was excited about seeing the Pernice Brothers. They were great, even though they didn’t play my favorite song “Our Time Has Passed”. Dino and Jake yelled it between songs, but alas.
Joe Pernice looks a lot like Joe Lindemann, my dad’s friend from up the road.
I can thank C-ris Weber for introducing me to this song. He put together a random sampling of what he had been listening to, back in 2003, and “Our Time Has Passed” was one of the best. The best, of course, was “Canyon Ride” by the Beachwood Sparks.
He sent me a new bunch of songs, a few months ago, and I’m now very unselfishly going to release the new blow-your-ass-out-your-ass list. Don’t ever say I didn’t do nuthin’ for you.
1) Arcade Fire–Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
2) Ben Harper with the Blind Boys of Alabama–Picture of Jesus or Church on Time
3) Bright Eyes–At the Bottom of Everything or We are Nowhere and It’s Now
4) Broken Social Scene–Stars and Sons
5) Cub Country–Be Yer Own Hitman
6) Damien Rice–the Blower’s Daughter or Cold Water
7) Decemberists–We Both Go Down Together
8) Dolorean–Jenny Place your Bets
9) Ed Harcourt–Kids (Rise from the Ashes) or Born in the 70’s
10) Elefant–Now that I miss you
11) Erin Mckeown–Blackbirds
12) Frou Frou–Must be Dreaming or Let Go
13) Helio Sequence–Repeater
14) Iron and Wine–Sunset Soon Forgotten
15) Joanna Newsom–Sadie
16) Josh Rouse–James or Love Vibration
17) Kashmir–The Aftermath or Petite Machine
18) Loretta Lynn–Portland Oregon or Van Lear Rose
19) Madeleine Peyroux–Don’t wait too long
20) Maritime–Sleep Around the Clock or James
21) Mason Jennings–Ballad of Paul and Shelia or Lemon Grove Avenue
(watch this last one–it will stick in your head for days)
22) Matt Pond PA–Kc
23) Nellie Mckay–Change the World or Baby Watch your Back
24) Now it’s Overhead–A Skeleton on Display
25) Phoenix–Everything is Everything
26) Rilo Kiley–Absence of God
27) Rufus Wainright–The one You Love
28) Son Volt–Windfall
29) Ted Leo and the Pharmacists–Walking to Do or Me and Mia
30) The Shins–Girl Inform Me or New Slang
31) Tom Mcrae–A Day like Today
32) Anything you find of the Voices on the Verge
33) David Mead–Nashville
You’d better enjoy this, or you’re not neat.